Translate

Featured Post

Training for Ultra-Cycling Events

I wrote the following article  5 years ago, for UltraRaceNews.com, and it was the most widely read article on that site for years. Now its...

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Reflective vest for randonneuring and night riding thats aerodynamic , light, and stylish.

I have been doing brevets now for a few months, a few that involved night riding. The rules say that "During hours of darkness or other low-light conditions, all riders must wear a reflective vest, sash, Sam Browne belt, or some other device that clearly places reflective material on the front and back of the rider."    I have used some cheap running vests, with velcro and mesh, but they flop around and get caught on stuff, and they are not aerodynamic at all. I also don't like velcro with other stuff in the laundry, or catching other stuff in my bag or jersey pocket.  On my last 200Km brevet, that started in the dark, I tried one of these: Nathan Flash L.E.D. Reflective Vest (Small / Medium, Yellow). Its Lycra!! It stays put, and its aerodynamic. It also takes very little space once you take it off. I bet its the lightest solution too. A note on sizing: I am 185 pounds and wear mostly size L, but I got a S/M in this vest and its perfect. If your chest is over about 46", get the bigger one. Its very elastic though, and the S/M was only slightly loose on my 100 pound GF. I think it comes in white too, but the yellow went well with my stylish PCH Randos Kit.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you posted this. I also saw your email regarding this vest on the rando list. I will pick this up for my Brevets and commuting.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete